Breaking News

COVID-19 continues to trend upward in San Antonio, but no new deaths reported

“What you’re doing with social distancing is working - it’s saving lives,” Mayor Ron Nirenberg said at the daily city-county briefing.


So far, more than a quarter of those sickened by the virus — 276 people — have recovered.

The largest share of cases in Bexar County — more than 400 — have been San Antonio News caused by “close contact” with someone already sick with the virus such as a family member.

On ExpressNews.com: Get the latest update on coronavirus and a tracking map of U.S. cases

At least 350 cases have been attributed to community spread — catching COVID-19 from someone outside the home. More than 180 cases have been attributed to travel.

The source of infection hasn’t yet been determined in 69 cases.

The number of COVID-19 patients hospitalized in San Antonio has held fairly steady in recent weeks. Monday, 81 patients were hospitalized — the same number reported Sunday. Among those patients, 41 were in intensive care, while 25 were on ventilators to help them breathe, Nirenberg said.

Almost 20 percent of those patients diagnosed with COVID-19 in San Antonio have been hospitalized at some point during their illness.

Across Texas, more than 19,000 cases of COVID-19 have been diagnosed and 495 people have died. More than 5,700 patients diagnosed in Texas have recovered.

Wear that mask
As of Monday, the city of San Antonio requires everyone 10 or older to wear face coverings in public, particularly in places where it’s hard to stay 6 feet away from others, such as grocery stores and pharmacies.

The mandate aims to slow the spread of the virus.

“We need to remind folks that they’re saving lives, potentially their own, by wearing masks,” Nirenberg said.

“Hopefully, people will use some common sense and put on masks. You don’t need to buy one. You can use fabric that you can find at home. You can turn a T-shirt into one. There’s a lot of different ways to accomplish what we’re asking for.”

Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff said it’s important for local businesses to support the mandate. He suggested that businesses have extra masks or face coverings available for customers who try to walk in an establishment without wearing one.

“If (customers) refuse to put one on, I don’t think they should let Press Release Distribution Service In San Antonio them in the store,” Wolff said. “It’s not only a threat to the store’s customers, but it’s a threat to their employees.”

Federal aid coming
The city of San Antonio will receive $270 million in funding — about $20 million more than expected — from the federal CARES Act, a stimulus package that includes money intended to help state and local governments during the COVID-19 pandemic.

But the act gives only broad guidelines on how the money can be spent, so until the U.S. Treasury Department comes up with specifics, the money is just going to sit there.

For More Information 
Click Here...

No comments

Featured Post